|Sonic the Hedgehog (2006)|
|Playlist||Jon and Ego play Sonic '06, the greatest game known to man.|
|Run|| November 1, 2012 - January 9, 2013|
January 14, 2013 - February 27, 2013
|Grumps Game Guide|
| ← previous|
Joe & Mac
| next →|
Super Mario Land 2
Sonic the Hedgehog (also known as Sonic the Hedgehog 2006, or more commonly Sonic '06) is the nineteenth game played by Jon and Arin on Game Grumps. The game is infamous for being one of the worst Sonic games and is also considered one of the worst games overall. Sonic '06 is probably one of the most well-known playthroughs on Game Grumps, as well as it being their second longest running series (Pokémon FireRed being the longest running series).
Sonic the Hedgehog (ソニック・ザ・ヘッジホッグ Sonikku za Hejjihoggu) is a 2006 platform video game developed by Sonic Team and published by Sega for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. The game primarily allows people to use Sonic, Shadow and Silver across several stages. Other secondary characters also become playable across the game. The plot follows Sonic's quest to protect Princess Elise after she is kidnapped by his rival Dr. Eggman and is aided by new and returning allies.
The game shares its name with two earlier Sonic games, a manga, a television series, a comic book series, and their eponymous main character. To disambiguate, the game has been referred to as Sonic 2006, Sonic '06, or Sonic Next-Gen. It was produced in commemoration of the 15th anniversary of the Sonic the Hedgehog series. The game faced multiple issues during development, which resulted in rushing the product despite existing bugs. Critics derided both versions for long loading times, poor camera system, gameplay glitches, complicated plot and sloppy character control.
Both Game Grumps spend time playing the game, alternating who is playing whenever they feel like it. Jon promised to complete the game early on in the playthrough, much to his regret. Arin and many fans have had doubts, but they have managed to get far into the game, very close to the end.
Jon departed from Game Grumps with Sonic '06 unfinished. The Grumps had completed the Sonic and Shadow Campaigns, and nearly finished the Silver Campaign, having only the final boss left, and afterwards only have the Last Campaign to do. Depending on how fast they would play the Last Campaign there would be approximately 6-9 episodes left in the series if they completed it. In an AMA with Game Grumps in October of 2013, Arin stated that he and Dan, or Jon, will not be completing the series. At MAGFest 12, Arin and Danny again confirmed they won't be finishing it.
The Sonic Campaign is unique in that the Game Grumps spend most of the play-through talking about the game. Jon and Arin often encounter and exploit glitches in the game that leave them dumbfounded, adding to the humor of the series.
As the Shadow and Silver Campaigns are generally less glitchy than Sonic's, conversations in later episodes strayed from the game more often.
Escape From The City and many variations of the song are sang very often by the Game Grumps throughout the the first half of the Sonic Campaign playthrough. However, "Live and Learn" has also been used a couple of times as well but not as frequently as "Escape From The City". The background music to Aquatic Ruin from Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Genesis) was also use in one episode as a speed up.
The Game Grumps received the Official Prima Strategy Guide for Sonic '06 from fan Marissa Lenti, which they named after her. However, the strategy guide is of little help to them.
Several fans have suggested getting Arin and Barry to finish the series as Barry is the only one outside the original grumps that have journeyed with them through editing of the episodes. The grumps haven't commented on this suggestion making it the only likable option not dis-confirmed by the grumps. It is not likely that this will happen though, as they have stated that the series "belongs to the past"
A third attempt of fans have requested that Jon would be a guest on Grumpcade to finish this series, but that is also unlikely.
|Sonic '06 Episodes|
- Sonic '06 is the first game played by the Game Grumps for a Sony console, in this case being the PlayStation 3.
- The episode "Sunny Day" started the Grep phenomenon.
- This is the second longest series on the Game Grumps channel (with 108 episodes), and is the first game on the channel to have more than a hundred episodes. It surpassed a previous record number of episodes on December 11, 2012, beating Banjo Kazooie's 23 episode count. Game Grumps have since surpassed this 108 episode record with Pokémon FireRed as of February 9th, 2015. Other games with high episode counts include:
- Super Mario Sunshine: the series ended with 51 episodes on October 4, 2013, just shy under the half-way point of Sonic '06's episode count.
- The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD: at one point WWHD was expected to reach the record by the end. However, it ended at 73 episodes (35 short of Sonic '06's record number) on June 9, 2014, making it the third longest series.
- Super Mario 3D World: Similar to Sunshine, Mario 3D World had a small potential of reaching this number of episodes. The series ended with 59 episodes (the fourth highest episode count of any series on the channel). However, the grumps suggested to complete the game as a live stream rather than airing as episodes but that is to be determined.
- Trauma Center: Second Opinion: Currently abandoned at 50 episodes. If the series is picked up again, it could potentially reach up to Sonic '06's number of episodes.
- Super Mario 64: Ended with 62 episodes. The series had been ongoing with Arin's intent to collect every star in the game, and with a high number of episodes without progress, there was a chance that this series' episode count would get very high, but it was never very likely that this series would surpass Sonic '06.
- Bloodborne: Just hit the 50 episode benchmark. Arin has yet to beat the game on his own time, so he doesn't know how much of it is left. This episode could reach 100 episodes depending on how much of the game is left.
- This series became Barry's favorite series to edit, due to its ridiculousness.
- Sonic '06 is the first game to ever have six of its episodes uploaded without any other episodes in between, in contrast with the previous high, two.
- Sonic '06 held the record for the game having at least one episode released each day for the most consecutive days, with thirteen days (from January 16 to January 28), until it was beaten by The Legend of Zelda on July 23, 2013.
- During MAGFest 11, Arin destroyed a fan's physical copy of Sonic '06 at request.
- This series probably has the most Game Grumps Animated videos created by fans.
- It was, at one point, speculated by some fans that Jon would visit Arin (and probably Danny) one day and beat Sonic '06 in a Guest Grumps episode.
- Many fans have requested that the Grumps should complete Sonic '06, even after Jon's departure. Arin, along with Danny, have responded twice to their fans. The first attempt was during an AMA Question Response video and the second was during MAGFest12. Both responses stated that the Sonic '06 series is done for. Arin didn't want Danny to be a part of this series, and Danny saw and liked the videos so much but agreed to put it to rest because he was not a part of it. They both agreed that "it's perfect the way it is."
- In addition, fans have requested that Arin and Barry should finish the series without Danny nor Jon. That is highly unlikely due to the grumps' opinion to never touch the series again.
- Also, fans have requested that Jon would be a guest on Grumpcade to finish this series, but that is also unlikely.
- The total run-time for the series clocks in at around 20 Hours, 23 minutes, and 26 seconds, although they have skipped footage and sped up the gameplay several times. meaning their overall gameplay is much more than that.
- On the 100th episode of "The Completionist" (hosted by Jirard Dragonrider Khalil, a member of Normal Boots along with Jontron and others), Jirard did a review of Sonic '06. Jontron made a cameo in his review as Jirard's friends attempt to find someone with "deep ties to Sonic '06" who could potentially free Jirard from a demonic possession. Jon mentions how the game is "cursed" because of how the game was not fully developed and was picked by Jirard. This was possibly assumed from Jon's experience of playing the game on Game Grumps during his time. However, in the review, Jon did not mention anything about Game Grumps.
- However, Arin and Game Grumps were given a special thanks at the credits of this video, along with Jontron.
- There is however a nod to the Game Grumps in the video. When Jirad suggest to his friend Greg that they play the game Greg replies to him, "That game is a plague!" Then whispers to Jirard, "Just look at what happened to the grumps when they played it."
- Fans have seen this episode as a way to complete what was left off from Game Grumps of Sonic '06.
- Throughout this entire playthrough, Arin and Jon's Grump Heads were modified to have earrings made from the iconic golden rings Sonic collects in his games.